Monday 10 September 2012

HAIR REMOVAL 101

There are many ways of eradicating fuzz - whether it's legs, pits, *ahem* muff or anywhere else that you want to be smooth and hair free. As hair removal is a part of the majority of people's beauty regimes I feel that it has a place on this beauty blog. I was in two minds as to whether to actually publish this post initially - after all it's very personal subject for some people. However, there could be a good laugh in it so I'm publishing it anyway...






SHAVING
This is the easiest and most pain-free method there is. Shaving seems to be the most favored of all the methods I'm going to list. I know I prefer it. The trick is to make sure you shave your legs as soon as you hit the shower or bath. This is when the hairs are still at their most 'rigid' and therefore the razor will pick up more of the hair than it would if you let them soak for a bit and get 'soft'. Always use a clean and hygienic razor blade (no rust ladies!) and make sure you clean the razor head after you've used it, otherwise if you accidentally cut yourself (easy enough to do) then it will get infected. This is probably the easiest way to tame your 'muff' too but be aware you will have to be slow and careful otherwise, if you slip, it's going to hurt.


HAIR REMOVAL CREAMS
Before I go on any further I would just like to say - do not use this on your muff. It will cause all kinds of stinging and problems, depending on the brand, as no hair removal cream is intended for 'internal use' and that includes down there... Nevertheless these products do work on legs somewhat. I've never found one that works on my legs but then my legs, left to their own devices, resemble a Sasquatch's. I would probably say that if you have finer hair than this is the product for you. You leave it on your legs whilst you shower (it smells foul to me - there is just something horrible about it) and then use the crazy spoon-shaped tool that comes with the pack to scrape the hair off. Ta-dah! Smoothie smooth.




WAXING
There are two ways to wax: salon and at home. I would say that neither are guaranteed to yield amazing results. If you're booked in for a salon wax make damned sure that you are comfortable with the therapist you will using and that they're properly trained. Not only that, make sure they give you a skin test with the wax a short time before the appointment (even if it's just a tiny bit on your arm hair) so that you know you won't be having any allergic reactions. Always make sure they tell you about after-care too. As for at home? Well, there are plenty of choices but none that I would instantly trust. I say that because I tried to wax my muff when I was 18 for a date I was due to go on (third date by the way - you know the rules!) and I ended up crying down the phone to my then-best friend. She had to run round to my house and remove it for me and thus became the only woman that isn't medically qualified to see me au-natural as a 'grown-up'. The date was subsequently cancelled as I was walking like John Wayne for about a week afterwards.




PLUCKING
Eyebrows count as body hair and obviously the most common way of maintaining the Caterpillars is to pluck. It's not pain free so I always numb my brows with some ice cubes first to try to escape the pain a bit more (I'm such a whimp). Beware though - over plucking is not something you want to be doing. Plucking damages the hair follicle and eventually the hair simply won't grow back - and your eyebrows will be stuck like that. If you think you have brows that are too thin because of plucking then grin and bear a few months of looking slightly 'bushy' in order to get a professional to shape them for you. It's worth every penny to have them done properly. Another note on plucking - I know someone that actually plucks their muff. Yes. I too have just crossed my legs and winced. If you think this is a potential method of grooming for you I wish you all the luck in the world (I tried it on one hair once - never again).




THREADING
This is an Indian technique that provides amazing results. It uses thread to gently skim the skin to trap individual hairs and remove them. It's kinder to the epidermis so it doesn't do as much damage as plucking can but when I had this done I had to have my sister hold my eye open for me as I was in a lot of pain. I have never had eyebrows that looked better though in all honesty. Maybe the pain is worth the amazing results? That's for you to try and decide on.




EPILATION
I own an epilator and have only ever used it once. Dave heard me screaming and thought I had done myself in on something upstairs. No, I had simply tried this on my leg. It went shooting across the landing rather quickly and has resided in it's box ever since. Epilators are effectively lots of very small tweezers all working at the same time. Some women swear by them but I don't really understand why (each to their own).


ELECTROLYSIS
Out of all of the hair removal options I've listed this is the only one that I haven't tried. I'm a little bit scared of it, to be frank. A trained practitioner passes metal probes, the size of hair follicles, over the skin which then are pulsed with electric, dislodging the hair from the follicle and therefore removing it. Depending on the patient's pain thresh-hold there are different levels of settings for the power of the electric used. Personally I'm going to leave this only for the very brave - I wouldn't make it out alive if I tried it, would I?


And, as there has been a lot of talk about muffs on this post (no - I'm not a sex pest I can assure you) - here is a picture of one for you all! Enjoy!



23 comments:

  1. HAhahahah what a great post, i had a good giggle at the use of muff everywhere, nice to see someone being open and honest. Lets face it, we're all thinking/have tried it at some point! I love the pictures too :)

    Sophierosehearts xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, everyone does it but no one seems to talk about it? Don't understand why! Haha thankyou - my Art GCSE didn't go to waste ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this post! What a way to put a smile on someone's face! 'Muff', ha!
    Its great to read a post so detailed & honest!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - glad you enjoyed it xxx

      Delete
  3. such a great post! I love it! really helpful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! I think I must have a high pain threshold as waxing and epilating don't bother me at all, and I regularly pluck my bikini line (not the full muff though!) and underarms as well as my brows, to tidy up. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're talking full muff with the woman I know! Gah! Wow you do have a high pain thresh hold! I would have to be knocked out for that kind of thing xxx

      Delete
  5. I've tried waxing my legs before- I was almost in tears because I have no pain threshold! If I have somewhere special to go I use hair removal cream but usually I just shave because it's easy and pain free!
    Love the drawing of the tweezers btw ;)

    also I thought I would add that muff is now my new favourite word...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah love it - muff! Aww glad I'm not the only one that has no pain threshold! xxx

      Delete
  6. I'm literally creasing at the drawing of the muff, I can't breathe! Epilating doesn't bother me too much! I'm just too lazy to bother doing it!

    Love you blog, new follower here!

    alizzet101.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think it's so funny :D aww thank you for following!

      Delete
  7. Hilarious! I epilate my underarms and my legs but I don't find it gets all the hairs so then i shave afterwards... For my bikini line and err muff hahah I use sugaring which is similar to waxing but less painful or hair removal cream! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to look into sugaring as I never thought of that one! xxx

      Delete
  8. ahahahah oh my god Id forgotten the word muff even existed! I cant say any kind of hair removal bothers me at all, but then I first waxed my legs at 13 so I guess im immune to the pain a bit now xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that does build up an immunity! or I'm just a whimp (probably the reason I think) haha xxx

      Delete
  9. HHAHAHAHA This is fabulous!
    Great post Helen xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol that was one of the funniest posts ever!! i love your drawings!! My preferred way of hair removal is waxing but i hate having to wait ages for them to grow backx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great post! Definitely gave me a few giggles! xx

    thewondersofwardrobes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. A person essentially help to make seriously articles I might state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I surprised with the research you made to make this actual publish amazing. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I adore every single one. Please feel free to link your blogs underneath your comments - I love finding new blogs to read!

It may take me a while to reply to comments so if you have any direct questions please tweet me @Superfluous_B and I'll get back to you more quickly there.

Comment moderation is in place to prevent spam. Spam includes: 'follow for follow comments', comments made with a link where the comment has no relevance to the post, anonymous comments that have no relevance to the post and trolling/hate. These will all be deleted.