Wednesday 6 February 2013

GUEST: TALES FROM THE KINGDOM 'WHAT'S MY MY MAKEUP BAG?'

Hello! I’m Christina and I write my own blog named Tales from the Kingdom (I live in the Kingdom of Fife, see what I did there?) When Helen asked via Twitter if anyone would like to guest-post for her (utterly brilliant… who said I’m a suck up?!) blog, and in the spirit of adventure I thought I’d try writing one and said yes! Here I am, and now to move on to my topic of choice… Travel make-up. 


I am a support worker for a charity that supports adults with autism spectrum conditions, and that involves a lot of night-shifts and sleepover shifts (where I sleep at work… it’s a bit weird.) Added to that, I travel home to Glasgow quite often so packing my make-up bag for travelling has become something of a fine art. So what do I pack in my make-up bag? And how do I travel light?


Picture 1 - Makeup bag


With this snazzy make-up bag I got for Christmas, that’s how! I don’t want to humph around a huge make-up bag, so I got this about the right time. And what’s inside? We’ll start with base products…


Picture 2 - Base Products

Kleenex Shine Absorbing Sheets – I can’t go anywhere without these babies! I use them to blot excess oil before applying make-up and for blotting away oil-slicks during the day.


Benefit Porefessional – This is my current primer, and it’s great for covering up the crater-like pores around my nose and forehead. I particularly like this since it’s a dinky travel size, saving space for more goodies!


GOSH BB Cream in 01 Sand - This works great on my pasty Scottish skin, giving a very light, natural coverage to the skin, as well as having SPF 15 to protect the skin from the occasional sunshine we get up here!


Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer in Ivory – This is a really good concealer, I don’t know why other #bbloggers haven’t noticed this yet! I bought this because my local drugstores had run out of the infamous Collection concealer in my preferred deathly pale shade. It’s great for brightening up underneath the eyes (brilliant when you’ve had zero sleep on shift).


L’Oreal True Match Powder in Rose Beige – Good for setting my base and for controlling oil. Not much more to say than that!


Picture 3 - Eye Products

If I have time, I’ll make an effort with my eyes. More often than not, I have to go places after work so I like to look my best but keep it simple, here’s what I typically go for:


Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer Potion – This is self-explanatory, keeps eye shadow in place all day without shifting!


Benefit Creaseless Cream Eye Shadow in R.S.V.P. – This is a lovely, shimmering neutral cream shadow that lasts all day, great for a subtle eye look through the day (or night, which is more often the case for me!)


MUA Intense Colour Eyeliner in Brown – I love these guys, they’re £1 and you’ll likely find them at most MUA Superdrug stands. Really creamy texture and I use this to line my lash lines very softly to add a little definition.


Rimmel Lash Accelerator Mascara in Brown – Haven’t tested the growth claims much on this mascara, but it’s great for making my lashes look ‘natural but better’ with a bit of volume and definition.


Picture 4 - Lip products


Again, with the lips I keep it simple, especially in the winter months when my lips are drier than the Sahara. I go for a simple shimmery lip with the following: 


Estelle and Thild Raspberry Lip Balm – This is a brilliant lip balm, I will literally burst into tears when I run out (I know, sad right?) I put some on before bed, and after doing my teeth in the morning to keep my lips soothed.


Stila Lip Glaze in Splendour – this is a lovely sheer pink which gives the lips a hint of daytime sparkle, and it add a little moisture boost too I find.


I hope you found rummaging through my travel make-up bag interesting. I tend to mix it up depending on whether I’m going to work or if I’m going home for an event, but some general tips for travelling light:



1.    Use samples if you can – sample sizes are fantastic for travelling; they usually have enough product for a couple of day’s usage depending on how long you’re travelling for.


2.   Look for minis for the same reason – For skin and hair care, Boots and the Body Shop are really good for these.


Take only what you know you’ll use – I am terrible at this, but I try to follow this advice as much as I can. When I go home to Glasgow I usually end up taking way more make-up than I would normally need “just in case” – which is silly. Take what you know will be used and have done with it! 





Picture 5 - Makeup bag


I hope you’ve enjoyed my little guest offering! Feel free to come and say hello at talesfromthekingdom.blogspot.co.uk or come find me on Twitter (I’m @ironic_sparkles) – I love a good natter!


Christina xo



Thank you so much to Christina from Tales from the Kingdom for guest posting - I love a good nose through other people's makeup! You can find Christina on her fabulous blog or on Twitter! Definitely go find her for a chat if you can!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Great blog you have, I love the diversity of it.
    I love your makeup bag, its socute. Big fan of true match, although not used their powder, but I could not live without the liquid foudation. It really does 'match' doesnt it?
    xxx
    http://heroineinheels.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you :) I should give the foundation a go, the powder is brilliant and it matches perfectly!

      Christina xo

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I adore every single one. Please feel free to link your blogs underneath your comments - I love finding new blogs to read!

It may take me a while to reply to comments so if you have any direct questions please tweet me @Superfluous_B and I'll get back to you more quickly there.

Comment moderation is in place to prevent spam. Spam includes: 'follow for follow comments', comments made with a link where the comment has no relevance to the post, anonymous comments that have no relevance to the post and trolling/hate. These will all be deleted.